Skip to main content

Watch: Tammy Moorer Kidnapping Trial Day 3


Day 3 Part 2

Day 3 Part 1

The kidnapping trial of South Carolina woman Tammy Moorer continues Thursday in a Horry County courtroom. Moorer faces allegations that she was behind the disappearance of 20-year-old Heather Elvis in December 2013. Her husband, who is also implicated in the case, is on the prosecution’s witness list and may testify today.

Elvis was known to be alive on December 18 of that year, and the following day her car was found abandoned. That’s when she was reported missing. Roughly two months later, police apprehended Moorer and her husband Sidney Moorer and searched their home. Both initially were charged with murder, in 2016 those charges were dropped, leaving just counts of kidnapping and conspiracy.

Sidney Moorer already faced a trial that ended in a hung jury, and he now awaits a second trial.

Prosecutors claim that Mr. Moorer and Heather Elvis had an affair, and that after their relationship ended, he lured her to a location against her will and kidnapped her.

Witnesses said during Mr. Moorer’s trial that about two months before Elvis disappeared, and after Elvis and Moorer’s relationship ended, she came in to work with a black eye, but had different excuses for how she sustained the injury. They said Elvis was afraid of Tammy Moorer, and that Elvis may have been pregnant.

On Wednesday, a cell phone expert took the stand and discussed cell phone tracking and call history between the various parties during the time leading up to Elvis’ disappearance. The expert said that records show that early in the morning of December 18 2013, Elvis’ cell phone was near her home, and she called Sidney Moorer at 3:15 a.m. The expert said that about half an hour later, her phone was in the vicinity of a boat landing where the Moorers allegedly lured her. Four calls were then placed from her phone to Sidney Moorer, and that’s where the records end.

Have a tip we should know? [email protected]

Filed Under:

Follow Law&Crime: